Carillion was awarded the contract to build and maintain the Midland Metropolitan Hospital by Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals Trust in December 2015.
The construction programme is now underway with the hospital officially opening to patients in Spring 2019.
The state-of the-art hospital, which will have 669 acute care beds and 13 operating theatre suites, has been designed to meet the best international and national standards to make it patient focussed to support the efficient delivery of high-quality clinical services.
The new hospital will also have a number of innovative design features including:
- a fully enclosed Winter Garden
- car parking within the hospital building on the ground and first floors to create a secure environment for both patients and staff
- full separation of clinical activities, public and non-clinical services.
In addition, the design and construction of the hospital will meet the highest standards of sustainability. Carillion has committed to support:
- Local Businesses – through the opportunity to supply goods and services, whilst also offering training and support
- Local Employment – working in partnership with Birmingham City and Sandwell Councils to ensure local people have the opportunity to work in both construction and operation of the new hospital
- Training – ensuring work experience and apprentice opportunities are offered throughout the project. The project has also been appointed as a CITB National Skills Academy